Prep Time: 1 hour
Growing up in Ottawa, I had a huge middle eastern influence to my palate, with a shawarma stop at every corner of the city. I was spoiled with the best shawarma, hummus, and baba ganoush. And nothing seems to compare. But let me tell you that this dip is life changing. I'm a huge hummus and baba ganoush fan, but I'm recently not getting satisfaction out of the store bought dips. I took it into my own hands to replicate the dip I smother my veggies in on a daily basis. This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegan, whole 30 and keto friendly, so give it a go!
- 1 medium to large sized italian eggplant/aubergine
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 1/2 juice of a lemon
- olive oil for baking
- salt for seasoning
- cumin for seasoning
- chili flakes for seasoning
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut your eggplant in have (vertically) and create a cross stitch cut pattern.
3. Coat eggplant in olive oil and salt and place flesh side down on a baking tray.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 mins.
5. Pull eggplant out of the oven and scoop all the soft cooked flesh into a blender, so you are only left with the skins.
6. Place the remaining ingredients (lemon juice, garlic cloves, a pinch of salt, a pinch of cumin and tahini) in the blender. Blend on high for 2-3 mins.
7. Scoop out into a bowl and sprinkle with cumin and chili flakes. Serve with veggies and gluten free crackers. Enjoy!
I'd love to hear how this recipe goes for you. Comment below and let me know!